Teeth Whitening in Point Pleasant
With advancements in teeth whitening options, it is no surprise that it is one of the most popular cosmetic dental procedures. The American Association of Orthodontists found that nearly 90% of patients request tooth whitening. To provide patients with the best dental care, we offer a variety of common teeth whitening procedures.
For many patients, brushing and flossing do not help your teeth remain bright over time. Often their factors that lead to teeth discoloration, including:
- Food and Drink - coffee, tea, and red wine are common causes of teeth discoloration. The intense colors attach to the enamel, causing teeth to darken over time.
- Tobacco Use - tar and nicotine found in tobacco products cause teeth to become stained over prolonged use.
- Age - over time, the outer layer (enamel) of teeth gets thinner, and the yellowish inner layer (dentin) becomes more noticeable, creating a blemish to the teeth.
These are just a few circumstances that cause teeth to be dull or darken, making teeth whitening essential for many patients.
The teeth whitening process itself is quite straight forward. Teeth whitening products contain one or two tooth bleaches that collapse the tooth stain making it less obvious and lightening the patient’s teeth. Before whitening, it is best to consult with your dentist about which whitening option is best for you. Common options include:
- Stain Removal Toothpaste - it is best to choose a toothpaste with the ADA seal of approval to guarantee proper care.
- In-Office Bleaching - usually within one visit, the dentist can apply a protective gel or rubber shield to your gums and uses the bleaching product.
- At-Home Bleaching - your dentist will provide the products and instructions for you to whiten your teeth at home. This application can take a few days or weeks to see results.
Whitening is an attractive way to improve your smile in a short period. To find out what options are best for you, please contact your cosmetic dentist for a consultation.